UKBL ~ 10 Second Banner Rotator
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red Leader Composites Tazor

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red Leader Composites Tazor

[ Iv'e just received the Kit from Performance-EDF and will be building this great "Boomer" very soon.
    Got to get some parts in, but I'm already ordering.]

This is old news, but read below, I am posting info and pictures as I go. check below and follow along.
    RE
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1516-1024..jpg
Views:	200
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	489  
    Last edited by Richard Evans; 03-19-2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: added info

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Radio setup advice?

I'm beginning to wonder how to set this beast up. I have a 9 channel JR 2.4 radio and I won't use servo reversers (I have a dislike for twitching, randomly moving control surfaces).
    so, sometimes my solution when using a Y cable where you can't reverse the servo direction of one of the servos to make it go the right direction (like when you have flaps on a Y cable), I flip the servo over so the arm is on the other side to get the desired operation. (I prefer symmetry though if I can achieve it) but I call this asymmetrical.

With 2 aileron servos, 4 flap servos, two rudder servos, landing gear servo, nose steering servo, and wheel brake servo.
    Obviously I will need to use some Y cables and so I guess I need to plan the geometry and channel usage of how to install the servos and where two servos will be connected to a single channel.
    Here is what I'm thinking so far.

Ailerons separate channels, mounted symmetrically Aileron and Aux1
    Outboard flaps, Y cable, mounted asymmetrically, aux3, mixed with LG?
    Inboard flaps, Y cable, mounted asymmetrically aux2 channel, switch operated.
    Throttle, throttle channel
    Elevator, elevator channel
    Rudders, Y cable, mounted asymmetrically, rudder channel
    Wheel brakes, Y cable, elevator channel (same channel as elevator, but programmed to actuate the valve on down elevator)
    Steering, Y-cable, Rudder channel
    Retracts, retract channel (5)

So, does this look do-able? (JR X9303)

1 throttle --- throttle
    2 aileron ---- right aileron
    3 elevator ---- elevator, Y cable to Wheel brake servo
    4 rudder ---- Y cables to two rudder servos
    5 gear --- gear ---
    6 aux 1 --- left aileron
    7 aux 2 --- inboard Flaps, switch operated
    8 aux 3 --- outboard flaps, mixed with Lg channel 5
    9 aux 4 --- wheel brakes, mixed with down elevator

So, am I looking at this right?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, so I have decided to use a matchbox, at least I bought one. I may use it on the flaps or I might use it on rudder(s), nose wheel steering or I might use one on both. I am waiting to see how the travel works out on the nosewheel steering/rudder because If I can't get the nose wheel right without compromising the rudder, then I will use the matchbox for that. I'm undecided if I want the flaps to operate as one, or separately. either way, a matchbox there might be helpful.
    I ordered most of everything I need now, just waiting for it to all come in.
    on my servo cables, I didn't want to use a bunch of extensions of different lengths, so I decided to make all my servo wires custom to length and use Ashlock 9 way (3 servo) connectors for the wing hookups to simplify the connections there. http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.p...ort=20a&page=2

The nice thing is they also lock when they snap together to maybe help prevent an eventual possible accident. You have to push a tab to release them, I will also use one where the elevator connects from the tail boom. Once I get all that done up, I will post some pictures.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got a little bit more done today, I glued in the hatch catch's on the cockpit, and cut and filed the slots in the fuselage, I fitted the tab for the rear hatch that olds the rearward side in, and I also mounted the tab that holds the rear of the cockpit down too. So both the cockpit and the fan hatch are done, except the front center catch for the cockpit that connects into the slot on the "instrument panel" in the front of the cockpit is yet to be done.
    Here are some pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	catch1..jpg
Views:	189
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	517 The holes were a little tight. I couldn't fit the catch's in at first.

Name:	catch2..jpg
Views:	168
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	518 I adjusted the size of the holes with a small exacto saw blade and now the catch fits fine

Name:	slots..jpg
Views:	182
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	514 The slots are now cut into the fuselage for the cockpit , notice how long the slots are.

Name:	closed..jpg
Views:	206
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	513 Now both the fan hatch and the cockpit are fitted. Really neat how the hatch's just push on and don't need a hatch latch or anything,
    Last edited by Richard Evans; 02-12-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ashlock Connectors.
    I am going to use some special connectors for servo connections when I plug in the wings. This model is so great for transportation due to the ease of removing the wings, yet the landing gear are all in the main body. The booms and wings come off, and no air lines run through them making connections just a little easier, and less places for air to leak.

But I always worry about making all my servo connections, and perhaps with many use's; one time not pushing one in far enough or something and then finding out when it is in the air, could be an unforgiving situation if it happens to be an aileron. I usually leave the wings on on my Jets just so I don't disturb the connectors, and reduce the chance I will make a bad connection. This takes away the convenience of breaking it down for transport. Often I will only take one jet when I could take two if I broke them down.

So I looked around the web because I wanted to integrate multiple servos in one connection (Muliplex has connectors for that), but I also wanted a locking connector, so it couldn't pull out accidentally and so it would be obvious that it was pushed in all the way.

I found the Ashlok connectors, and ordered some and bought a tool to connect the pins. The vendor also had quality 22 ga silicon insulated servo wire and conventional servo plugs so that way I can make up my own custom harness's to minimize plugs and to use the exact length wires. The site I found all this was at:

http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.p...index&cPath=82

I will post some pictures of some of these connectors when I get some made up.
    Last edited by Richard Evans; 02-17-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    02/17/2011

I got a little bit more done today, the pace is very slow, As nicely as this kit is prefabricated, this kit could be done very quickly, but I have other projects and can only spend a few minutes at a time between other things.

Today, I worked on the tail plane, I got started by cutting out the recess where the servo and servo cover goes. Then I cut off the plug on the servo wire and spliced wire to extend the servo wire through the tailplane so that I could install the male Ashlock locking connector to the end for connection to the female Ashlock connector that will be coming down the boom for the elevator.

I am opting to not use standard servo extension cables, I am making my own cables to exact length and using soldered connections and Ashlock connectors wherever I want a quick disconnect like in the case of the wings and the tailplane to the boom. Where there are multiple servos to connect like on the wings, both aileron and flaps, and for the right Tailboom, both rudder and elevator, I will use multi circuit Ashlock connectors. You might notice in the photo how I stagger the solder splices. I do it this way so I can just slip over a section of heat shrink tubing and shrink it, and it needs no other treatment, it cannot short out.

Name:	tailplaneservo..jpg
Views:	204
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	525 Click image for larger version

Name:	tailplane-side..jpg
Views:	194
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	526 Click image for larger version

Name:	splice2..jpg
Views:	195
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	527 Click image for larger version

Name:	plug..jpg
Views:	199
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	533

The first thing I noticed after removing the material from the servo location on the tailboom is that the provided hatch cover was a little oversized. Too bad is isn't exactly the right size, seems like a template adjustment would correct that, and thus save some work sanding them all down to fit.

Name:	hatch-before..jpg
Views:	187
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	528 Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch-after..jpg
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	529

Well, it really isn't much extra work, and I quickly got it to fit.
    notice the photos (before and after) The only thing is: take care that you sand evenly and keep the sides square so it fits nicely.

Name:	rudder..jpg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	531 Click image for larger version

Name:	splice-1..jpg
Views:	195
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	532

I also, the picture shows how I spliced the servo wire to extend it. Another pictures shows how I cut out the rectangular holes for the elevator wiring to pass into the tail boom. The hole in the tailplane lines up with a corresponding hole of the same shape in the fin. Some carbon fiber rod is provided to be cut to size and used as anti-rotation locator pins for fitting the tailplane to the to the fins. The manual calls for the locater pins to extend out from 10mm the edge of the tailplane, but I found that I needed to shorten them a little bit so the tailplane would snug up to the fin without any gap.
    This is quick and easy work with the dremel, sanding block and a cuttoff wheel.

Name:	tail-1..jpg
Views:	189
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	530

So now I am ready to install the elevator horn and pushrod, make a wedge shaped piece of wood and mount the servo, cut a slot in the servo cover, and secure everything once the I set the travel and endpoints etc for the radio setup. Rudders Next!
    RE
    Last edited by Richard Evans; 02-17-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Name:	mark..jpg
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	541Click image for larger version

Name:	retract1..jpg
Views:	184
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	540Click image for larger version

Name:	retract2..jpg
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	538

I decided to get started on the main landing gear. First, I cut out the access area leaving an border area to attach the gear door panel (after I cut and set up the gear doors). I've decided to go the full gear door route as it is just too cool to pass up. Getting them set up will be a future task for the moment I ordered a sequencer and still need to order door rams. I had to cut out some wood to get the retracts to fit properly, notice the mark on the former where it had to be cut, and the the picuture showing why it needed to be cut as well as the fit after the cut. The flex plates also had to have the forward and rear edges sanded a little to get them to fit. IT is nice for everything to be snug and all it took was a little bit if fine sanding. I've epoxied the beechwood landing gear rails in place and will wait until tomorrow to let them set up before doing any more work.
    Maybe tomorrow I can finish up mounting the screwing down the flex plates, and the retracts, right now they are just set in place for checking the fit.

Name:	wheel2..jpg
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	536Click image for larger version

Name:	cuttoutarea..jpg
Views:	212
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	537Click image for larger version

Name:	retract2..jpg
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	538

I got the tailplane servo installed and the servo cover on also. I took some hardwood and used a scroll saw to make some mounting rails and mounted them inside the tailplane. I broke the bottom tabs off the servo and use the top tabs to mount the servo to the mounting rail with the screws provided with the servo.

Name:	buttonedup..jpg
Views:	168
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	534   Click image for larger version

Name:	tailplaneservo..jpg
Views:	169
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	535   Click image for larger version

Name:	mountingrails..jpg
Views:	181
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	539  

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Name:	legs4..jpg
Views:	163
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	564 Click image for larger version

Name:	legs3..jpg
Views:	181
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	568

Taped up for a guide to cutting. I ran a piece of fishing line down the centerline of the fuselage, and taped it in place. Then I cut out the template provided, made a mark 205 mm from the nose and started the opening there. I overlayed the template at the right spot centered up with the help of the fishing line and taped the to edges of the template to give me a good cutting guide. Then I used the saw to cut it out with a minimum of material loss.

Below are a few pictures of things in place but not bolted down yet, for a photo op.
    got to clean up for the week now, workshop closed.

Name:	standing2..jpg
Views:	190
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	561Click image for larger version

Name:	standing3..jpg
Views:	186
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	562Click image for larger version

Name:	legs2..jpg
Views:	198
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	563Click image for larger version

Name:	legs1..jpg
Views:	202
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	565Click image for larger version

Name:	legs6..jpg
Views:	193
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	566Click image for larger version

Name:	standing1..jpg
Views:	202
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	567
    Last edited by Richard Evans; 02-20-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some more work done

Name:	boom-opening1..jpg
Views:	175
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	586

This shows the hole made in the boom and the wing root for the servo wiring to route through. This needs to be matched on both inner and outer side of the boom and outer wing for passage of the aileron and outer flap wiring.

Name:	fished..jpg
Views:	175
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	589 Click image for larger version

Name:	plugged3..jpg
Views:	208
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	590

This shows in the first photo, the wires having just been fished, and then the second photo shows the multi locking connector installed for elevator and the right rudder. It is 6 circuit so it feeds two servos with the one connector. There will be another on for aileron and outer flaps. I will paint them different colors so I won't get them crossed.

Name:	fished2..jpg
Views:	188
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	591

Name:	plugged1..jpg
Views:	173
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	587
    The locking connector for connecting the elevator shown connected in preparation to reassemble the tail.

Name:	markings2..jpg
Views:	186
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	588
    Playing around with some markings to see how they would look. (just printed on a printer and taped on)
    Last edited by Richard Evans; 03-03-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Name:	newscheme..jpg
Views:	173
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	602

Doodling with a photo printout and a couple of magic markers. Trying to figure out how I'm going to paint it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

hooking up rudders

Name:	servotester..jpg
Views:	159
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	603

I made a adapter to connect my JR matchmaker to my 2 circuit multi connector so I could center the two separate servos.
    The JR Match maker is a handy little device to help center and test your servos during setup. I have several other types just as good, the the JR is small and convenient.

Name:	testing1..jpg
Views:	166
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	608

Another shot showing the whole right boom setup. I love the locking connectors. One reason is that when connecting the elevator servo, the wire and plug pushs into the tailplane. when you disassemble, you have to pull the connector out through the hole in the side of the tailplane. the locking connector sees to it that the plug doesn't pull off. (which would be a real pain is the but to fish back out again. Also, I will feel much more secure that it is plugged in well and won't come off in Flight.

Name:	rudderservo2..jpg
Views:	157
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	606

I shaped some hardwood blocks to use as mounting rails to the right dimensions to get the servo to rest just below the servo cover.

Name:	rudderservo..jpg
Views:	158
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	607

Closeup

Name:	epoxy..jpg
Views:	150
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	604

This shows me using a tooth pick to feed epoxy down into the groove I cut for the horn.

Name:	rudder1..jpg
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	605

Installed the servo cover. Once again the servo covers need to be sanded down to fit. The work very easy with a little sanding with a sanding block.
    I make sure to use the correct size bit to drill the hole for the screws so the screws will stay nice and tight. Also, I am careful to not over tighten.
    Done for now, I'll install all the push rods when I start setting up the radio.
    Last edited by Richard Evans; 03-05-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My choice: Thunderbirds scheme (modified)

Name:	thunderbird..jpg
Views:	154
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	609
    This is lacking the military markings that will be on it, and this is just a sketch with magic markers, so the real product will look more refined and a lot better.

Name:	mask2..jpg
Views:	156
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	610
    Starting to do some masking in prep for paint. this photo shows the first scallop I am working on.

Name:	mask1..jpg
Views:	153
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	611
    Closer up photo
    Last edited by Richard Evans; 03-11-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

More Paint

Here is a little bit more progress.

Name:	paint5..jpg
Views:	141
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	612   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint4..jpg
Views:	153
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	613  

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

A little painting

Name:	tazor-rwb..jpg
Views:	185
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	614

Just halfway painted, still have to do the wings horizontal tail surface, add military markings etc.
    The markings in this picture are just cut from a paper printout to see where I should put them and what size etc.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Name:	rwbtazor1..jpg
Views:	155
Size:	512.3 KB
ID:	615 Click image for larger version

Name:	rwbtazor2..jpg
Views:	207
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	616

Got some more done now.
    Painting mostly done. Still need to do the wing bottoms, do something with the horizontal stab. Also the cockpit should have a beam.
    I took these pictures so I could get some in natural sunlight. It looks like I'm about to head the the flying field, but I'm not. I have a lot of
    work on the insides, I expect a few more weeks, maybe a month or two and it will be ready to maiden.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Installing wing Servos

Before I paint the wing bottoms, I want to install the servo mounts and horns. the instructions call for servo mounting adapters and wedge shaped balsa blocks, but I wanted to use what I have in the workshop and I have plenty of hardwood, plywood a few hand tools, a scroll saw and sander.
    So, I used the same technique I used for the elevator and rudder servos.

I make some hardwood blocks to use as mounting rails, and for the aileron, a plywood plate to help shim out due to the depth of the hole.
    here are some pictures

Name:	servoinst1..jpg
Views:	155
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	619
    To do it the way I did, what is needed is two hardware blocks sized appropriately and a plywood plate.

Name:	servoinst2..jpg
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	622
    Clearances are real tight, so the idea is to get everything worked out and be ready to apply epoxy and get things in place before it sets up. I pre drilled and test fit so that when I was ready, I wouldn't have to fiddle with it much

Name:	servoinst4..jpg
Views:	165
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	617

Here the blocks are predrilled and ready. I have to put the three pieces in the hole with epoxy on them and work them into place. I isn't easy, but having some tools to help position the blocks in place help a lot. I used tooth picks which I stuck into the screw holes in the blocks to give them a "handle". Then I protected the servo with a little plastic wrap around it to prevent it from getting epoxy on it and getting stuck. Then I liberally applied epoxy, positioned the three pieces, screwed the servo to the blocks and moved it into the proper position. Once it set up, I removed the servo to check for sufficient epoxy and to re-route the servo wire by fishing the wire behind the forward block towards the wing root.

Name:	servoinst5..jpg
Views:	154
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	618

Servo installed waiting on the epoxy to dry.

Name:	servoinst6..jpg
Views:	148
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	620

Servo pulled back out for inspection will be re-installed once the servo is centered electronically and the servo horn installed, and the servo wire re-routed behind the forward block to mate with the extension taking it to the wind root.

Horns and cover will be installed next..

Name:	servoinst3..jpg
Views:	149
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	621  
    Last edited by Richard Evans; 04-03-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nearly Done!

I finally resumed this project and I am nearly finished. I am using a 12s 4000 MAh configuration due to difficulties getting it to CG properly with larger batteries. I will see what kind of flight time I get and report back. I will Maiden this bird ver soon Stay tuned!

Pictures below:

Name:	DSC00781s..jpg
Views:	123
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	623   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00786s..jpg
Views:	125
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	624   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00788s..jpg
Views:	125
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	625   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00784s..jpg
Views:	122
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	626   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00782s..jpg
Views:	123
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	627  

Name:	DSC00787s..jpg
Views:	114
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	628  

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the worst possible scenario materialized on the maiden flight last weekend. I made the fatal mistake of programing too much aileron throw and too much expo after takeoff, on the turn downwind back to up wind, the rolled several times and I lost orientation, and she went straight down to total destruction.

Sorry guys only got this short segment of video to show for it!

Last edited by Richard Evans; 02-02-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to hear about your trouble.
    Time to clear your build table for the next project!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh man! Very sorry to see that! I hope you were able to save a lot of the electronics etc!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Mike, it was nearly a complete loss. the main landing gear appear to be ok, but the nose gear is damaged. I wouldn't trust much of the electronics, It all impacted so hard, I wouldn't trust it in anything I valued.
    However, I am sending the Fan Back to Stu, and it will be repaired. That is a great thing because it is about the coolest fan made and is no longer in production. I am very happy about that!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for your condolences, Yes, I didn't get much mileage out of this one, but I do have three new projects to get me over the blues.
    The L-39 for one. I will be starting a building thread on that one. Also, I found a donor for my Stumax 110-52, I won't tell yet what it is, but it will be see here first pretty soon!

Richard

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information